Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Koch brothers, ALEC, and the zombie lawmakers who do their bidding


On Feb. 3 and 4, legislators from across the country were expected to answer the call from their leaders—the billionaire Koch brothers and the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)--to come to the Ritz-Carlton on Amelia Island along the Florida coast for their continued indoctrination into the wonders of charter schools and the evils of public education and labor unions.

After the two-day, closed-door, press-excluded (did I mention "secret"?) meeting, those same legislators were expected to return to their home states to do the work of their leaders, sponsoring legislation, crafting speeches, lobbying their colleagues, and spinning their message to their constituents as to how government is evil, regulation is needless and costly, unions are Satan-inspired, public schools-be-damned and teachers’ unions along with them. Here’s the message in a nutshell: We can re-segregate and thus improve our schools, and even re-direct our tax dollars to help make it happen!

What did or did not take place on Amelia Island remains something of a mystery. However, as I write these words, one thing is for sure: millions of corporate dollars are flowing into political coffers to bolster and inspire these lawmakers further in their mission to carry the banner of the Koch brothers’ cause.

Why do I have visions of Fritz Lang’s Metropolis and Charlie Chaplin’s Modern Times flashing before me, armies of zombie-like citizens of the Kochian world marching in lockstep toward that great beyond where there is no government, only the Corporate Father to watch over us? Maybe I watched I Walked With A Zombie too many times.

Wake me up before this nightmare sucks me down into the void!

I’ll be writing on this at length early next week as I continue my research into ALEC, the Koch brothers, and the zombie lawmakers who do their bidding.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment